Can HIV spread by using the medical scissors and tweezers?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: back when i was home in the usa i tripped and cut the top of my foot. 2 weeks later i think it is infected. i got to a small island in fiji today and there are no doctors. i walked 30 mins to a clinic to see if they had antibiotics and the lady insisted on cleaning the wound. she took a huge pair of scissors and a huge pair of tweezers to grab some cotton and dip it in salt water. she cleaned my wound by rubbing the cotton on it and then put the cotton in the trash can and the scissors touched the trash can. she then used those scissors to cut the gauze. i am scared because i think the scissors and water may have been dirty and i am scared she does not clean them after treating patients. could i get hiv from this? i am freaking out. also can u let me know if you think it is infected. the cream ontop is neosporin i had
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No I don't think it is infected and also you will not get HIV from this too

Detailed Answer:
XXXX, welcome to HCM.

Looking into your history, I can say that the instruments your doctor had used are not infected most probably. As far as HIV is concerned the survival is very difficult in dried blood and hot environment. Hence, No, I don't think it is infected and also you will not get HIV from this too.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist