Can HIV or hepatitis-C be contracted through protected intercourse?

Posted on Tue, 1 Oct 2019 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi i had sex with a condom on 8 weeks ago with a random female in Las Vegas, she was super easy and that has me worried along with these symptoms. I have had tingling in hands and feet for 2-4 weeks, a sore throat/neck tightness for about 3 weeks. Also irregular stool for 6 plus weeks and some dull pain in one of my testicles for about a week. The pain seems to happen more often when i urinate lately. Ive been tested for Stds at 6 weeks out. Is HIV or Hepititus C possible? Mumps maybe? Some stress possibly? Thanks for your help in advance
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
HIV and HCV serology at 6 months via ELISA

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Testing at 3 and 6 months after possible HIV exposure will detect almost all HIV antibodies. HCV antibody test should also be conclusive. Both the serological tests should ideally be done via ELISA. If these are negative then you are cleared for both HIV and Hep C. The associated anxiety can be addressed in consultation with a psychiatrist who may advise psychotherapy and behavioral cognitive therapy in addition to anxiolytics for a short duration. In both cases the tests are up to 99 percent sensitive.

Let me know if you have any query

Wishing you best of health

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil