Can HIV infection be contracted through contact with infected blood?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Greetings
i was in a barber shop and he accidently cut his finger, however he went to wash his hand after the cut , and then he rubbed my beard with his hand is wet with water and some shaving gel, there was no cut on me, however i have many small pimples on my beard and when rubbing them it might pop with blood, my concern is can by rubbing my beard with his hand wet with water and might contain blood, might enter through these pimples and get hiv ?

i did not see blood on my beard and chin , however am concerned
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No chances

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

HIV does not survive outside body for more than a few seconds. Even research has confirmed that barbers do not transmit HIV by touching intact skin and pimples. So you can be relaxed and allay your fears. There is no chance that HIV transmitted to you by this method.

Hope it helps.
Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 15 hours later
Even if small pimple was some how bleeding and i did not notice and some blood mixed with water and shaving gel came on it ?

Thank you alot
I appreciate your reply
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No risk

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

The time that the barber took to wash his hands and then apply shaving gel, was enough to kill the HIV virus.

So there is no risk of transmitting HIV from him.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 4 hours later
Yes thanks ......but when he came back his hand was still bleeding slightly and my small pimple on my beard were red and might be slightly bleeding .. am really terrified ..

I really appreciate your full support

Best regards
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still no risk

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Even if his wound was bleeding and your pimple was bleeding, the risk is none. Firstly his chance of having HIV is very less. Then passing it on via bleeding wounds is also less. So your risk is negligible.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
One last question , you are saying the blood cannot pass through pimple even it was little bleeding ?

I will close the thread after this question.

thank you alot :)
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
According to your description, chances are none

Detailed Answer:
Hi

As per your description, barber cut his finger and bled a little. Then he washed it, applied some shaving gel and then touched your skin that has some bleeding pimples. According to this description, there is no chance of transmitting (passing) of the virus. Even if the blood mixed, it just stayed on the skin and did not pass through the pimple into your blood.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee