Can HIV be transmitted through sweat or urine?

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: HI Doctor,

My dad is infected with HIV, around 4/5 months back. i confused his under pants for mine and i wore it. Is there any risk of infection. However i got a rapid test and it says negative. is that alright?
what is the maximum window period, after exposure for virus to reflect in test.
Is it possible that, for virus to reflect in test after years. and one last thing we use to share drinking glass. is there anything to be worried about ? is there any specific precaution to be taken?
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Transmission of HIV from close relative

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

Although virus can be identified, if not isolated, from virtually
any body fluid, there is no evidence that HIV transmission can
occur as a result of exposure to sweat, or urine which can soil an under pant of HIV infected individual and then shared by care giver or other member of family by mistake.
However there have been isolated cases of transmission of HIV infection by body fluids that may or may not have been contaminated with blood.

3 months is the maximum window period between infection and the development of antibodies to HIV (detection by ELISA).

In patients in whom HIV infection is suspected (as you are concerned about your possible exposure to body fluid with garments), the appropriate initial test is the
EIA (enzyme immunoassay). If the result is negative, unless there is strong reason to suspect early HIV infection (as in a patient exposed within the previous
3 months), the diagnosis is ruled out and retesting should be performed
only as clinically indicated.

The sensitivity and specificity of Rapid HIV-1 antibody test
is ~99% when run on whole blood.Negative results from this test are adequate to rule out a diagnosis of HIV infection.

HIV will not take years to reflect in test.
Precaution:
A close relative living together & providing nursing care for an HIV-infected person should observe universal precautions, in the handling of body fluids and wastes from HIV infected individuals.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T