question-icon

Can HIV be transmitted through razor cut on face?

Posted on Fri, 27 Nov 2015
Question: I was at barber yesterday. When i was having facial shave he used razor to make lines of my beard and he used electric shaver aswell. I am sure he used new blade in razor. But electric shaver he used was placed there when i entered barber shop so after 10 minutes he used it on my face and it gave me 2 small cuts on my face and little bits of blood came out of those tiny cuts after 3 to 4 minutes i put after shave. So i am worried if someone hiv positive has used that electric shaver before me and i had cuts later on with same shaver will it can cause me HIV. I am really worried about it now.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma (54 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.

I would advise you not to worry. It is generally advised to you the razor blade used by other people as there is small risk of infections like HBsAg, HCV, HIV etc. But I would like to tell you that the risk is extremely low. As these viruses are labile and do not survive outside the body and die soon. If there was no fresh blood on the razor I see no reason to worry. I would recommend you no testing but in future ensure proper razor usage. Keep your cut area clean and apply antiseptic for few days.

Hope I answered your query.
Rating and review will be appreciated.
Dr Sheetal Verma
Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist