Can HIV be transmitted through a small cut in the finger?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: I cut my finger with a knife a little over a day ago. it was not bad enough to need stitches. I had a band aid on it but it fell off early in the morning. I was pumping gas and when I was done, i noticed that there was blood on the cut. my concern is I cut it on something on the pump or someone else's blood got on my cut from the pump. I didn't touch anyone, just the gas pump. I'm scared of hiv
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No risk for HIV

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You are concerned about contracting HIV or other blood type viral illness from a cut you received while pumping gas. You have absolutely no worry for HIV or any Hepatitis or other disease as the virus for HIV can not live outside of the body for any length of time. It dies when it gets dried. Also because of the gas environment the pH and other affects from gas will kill most pathogens. Therefore you have no risk fo disease for this type of exposure

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 6 minutes later
ok. I am concerned that the handle contained fresh blood and the blood on my cut was fresh. it either meant I cut it on the pump or someone else's fresh blood got on my cut. thank you
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Still ow risk

Detailed Answer:
You would have gotten the blood immediately after the person got cut and they would have had to have HIV. The chances of that happening are nearly zero. You would have a better chance at winning the lotto. Most HIV patients are now treated and have low infection rates. Most new HIV cases are from untreated persons through sexual contact and IV drug use. You have no worries about getting HIV in this case
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 12 minutes later
Thank you. I don't know if anyone was at the pump before me. how soon is immediately. I'm concerned and Confused. some say hiv dies instantly in air on object
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV dies very quickly

Detailed Answer:
Yes HIV can not live outside the body for very long. And I mean if you actually saw the person bleeding and you got blood in your eye or into an open wound would be the only way to contract HIV. So again you have absolutely no risk of getting HIV