Can HIV be transmitted just by clitoris stimulation with glans penis but protected intercourse overall?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 19 Sep 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: If i have HIV is it possible for me to infect my girlfriend if a condom is used the entire time of intercourse and there is no break but just before sex i used the head of my penis to stimulate her clit for 5 seconds?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no risk for HIV.

Detailed Answer:

Based on your history, having protected intercourse and just clitoris stimulation with glans penis, I think you shouldn't worry because there is no risk for HIV.

The risk of transmission exist when the precum and sperm enter in to her vagina that cannot happen during stimulation.

I hope my answer helps you. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Monika Dede, Infectious Diseases Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
My concern is that i recently had sex with someone i just met before i was with my girl and everything was covered but i had a razor bump on the base of my penis that might not have been covered by the condom. Would this particular encounter putme at risk?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
The risk exist only if you have an open bleeding sores .

Detailed Answer:

Thank you writing back.

There exist a risk of HIV infection if this bump is an open bleeding sores and you had contact in this place with her vaginal secretions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 33 hours later
Your answer does help me and thank you for being as thorough as you can. 2 weeks after that encounter a few things happend. Day 1. Felt a small itch just above my naval but did not notice any redness. Day 2. Started with some sneezing a little bit of a cough and a runny nose. Drinking a lot of water. Still felt a small itch above my naval. Day 3. Excessive runny nose, alot of sneezing, mild to medium coughing. Very thirsty, feels like an insatiable thirst. Constantly drinking water. Still had the small itch but noticed some redness. Day 4. Runny nose and sneezing, mild to medium coughing. Very thirsty, dry mouth and dry lips. Still have the same small itch above my naval. Day 5. Woke up 6 AM with diarrhea and a mild night sweat. The itch part went away but I can still see a small bit of redness. As the day progressed my diarrhea got better and my stool was a bit crumbly and not liquid. Day 6. Woke up around 6am, stool is getting better but still crumbly, coughing and sneezing is very minimal. No sore throat but needed to clear my throat a couple times throughout the day. For some reason I still see a very small amount of redness near the naval, i have to look really hard to see it. Irritates very minimal. So far there are no headaches, no fevers and no sore throat just a mild cough. Day 7 and 8. Feeling a little bit tired and stool is a little bit more solid. Just curious if these would be signs of HIV. I also had an issue with my middle finger, left hand. I will attach images so you can see. My doctor took most of the nail off and said it was "tramatic" Im only asking about my fingernail because i read a couple articles that said that my fingernail issue could be realated to compromised immune system or weak immune system and can be HIV related. My 2 most recent STD test were 5 weeks ago and 6 months ago. Both negative for HIV and everything else. Thank you for taking the time to help me and sorry for having a lot of questions but your expert opinion would be very much appreciated. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are not related to ARS.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you writing back.

I have seen carefully your picture and based on your history I think that these symptoms are not related to ARS .

I need to know if you have damaged your nail before?

As I said before, having a protected intercourse you shouldn't worry because there is no risk for HIV.

Please could you clarify me the HIV and STD test you have done 6 months after this sexual intercourse?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 5 hours later
As far as i can remember, i have never had damage to that nail before. Here is a list of my last 2 test dates and the date of what i thought might be a potential exposure to HIV. 06/01/17 HIV negative 01/08/18 HIV negative Date of what i thought would be potential exposure with a woman that is not my girlfriend and i do not know her HIV status 01/17/18. She is who i was with when i had the shaving bump that i was not sure if it was covered by the condom. A condom was used the entire time of intercourse but not during oral. The sex was vaginal only. The shaving bump was not bleeding or an open sore from what i remember. Just a shaving bump. The symptoms that I had listed in my earlier message started 16 days after I was with this new person I had never been with before. Thank you again for addressing my concerns on this matter Dr Dede. I was thinking of re-testing this week since it will be a month from the time i was with this new person that i don't know her HIV status and then maybe again at the three-month mark.What is your suggestion and what do you think my chances are of being HIV positive?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 19 hours later
Brief Answer:

There is no risk for HIV.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you writing back.

As I said before, having a protected intercourse and there is not an open bleeding sores, you shouldn't worry because there is no risk for HIV.

I emphasize again that these symptoms are not related with ARS.

This nail could be just onychomicosis or because of an old trauma, not related with HIV.

Hope I have answered your query.