Can HIV be detected 4 years post exposure?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi doctor..i had an unprotected sex 4 years ago...i got tested 3 months ago nd the result came negative...sir at the time of sex i forgot to clean my penis which was 4 years ago...doctor i cleaned my penis after 4 years of d exposure...as my status is negative...would that cleaning my dick after 4 years cause me hiv? Doctor would be there any hiv virus present on my dick since 4 years? Doctor please help me ! M anxious ...repeating again doctor i didnt clean my penis 4 years ago when i had sex and i cleaned my dick today ...help me out doctor..any chance of hiv? Could hiv virus would have resisted on my penis since 4 years?
Answered by Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chances of HIV is very very rare...

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and can understand your concern very well.

As you had unprotected sex 4 years ago and you didn't clean your penis at that time, but at the same time you had tested for HIV just 3 months ago and it came negative, so chances of HIV are almost nil, because after 4 years of unprotected sex, if you caught HIV, then it must be positive at this point of time. Can you please upload the report of HIV, so i can tell you exactly.

But as per my opinion, chances of HIV, because of 4 years' before unprotected sex, is practically nil after having negative test report. Because window period of HIV, which is usually for initially 6 months or so after contracting virus, during which antibodies are developing in body can give false negative report, but after 4 years sufficient antibodies will be there in body and chances of false negative report is very less.

So you need not to be worried much about it and don't take unnecessary tension or anxiety. And HIV virus can not remain present on penis for long time, because this virus can not survive long in open environment without favorable conditions.

Waiting for your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 13 minutes later
Sir , its like i v been masterbating 2 times a day since my exposure which was 4 years ago! Bt the prob is i used to masterbate in my underwear so i neva cleaned my dick ! I read an article today so i cleaned my penis ! What d chances now bcz i v been masterbating regularly since 4 years aftr that exposure...does liquid frm my penis would hv sustained over hiv virus? Nd sir i v uploaded my reports! Is there anything to worry About?
Answered by Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry, everything is fine...

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for uploading your report. Antibodies are not detected in your blood after almost 4 years and that is sufficient for you to be relieved. Just relax and don't worry, you are not having HIV.

Your blood reports are negative and that means your semen does not contain virus anymore, so no matter how much time you masturbated in your underwear, virus will never be there.

So again i would re assure you that you are perfectly normal and even now if you still have any doubt, then go for CD4 count or HIV antigen detection test, but i am sure that these will be negative!!

Hope this will assure you to be tension free.

Follow up: Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 16 minutes later
Sir, i hv taken hiv antigen test 3 times once in feb 2015 other in march 2015 and the last one in may 2015....all the test came negative! Do i need any further testing? As all these test were taken after 4 years of exposure but sir i wnna know could hiv have trnsmitted today as i cleaned my dick today after 4 years ! Mentioning again i had 3 hiv tests and all were negative! Do i need to worry about hiv? As i think its not possible bcz the fluid would frm my penis would hv removed it ! Provide me a brief answer ! I would be thankful to u! Provide me with ur expertise
Answered by Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are absolutely free from HIV...

Detailed Answer:
As you had already tested for HIV antigen thrice and all came negative, then you and your body are absolutely free from HIV virus. You don't require to go for any further testing anymore.

You just need to remove the threat of HIV from your mind. HIV cannot be transmitted today from your semen even though you have cleaned your dick just now, because virus is not there to be transmitted!!

You can also take help of a counsellor to remove such things from your mind. Do meditation to remain stress free.

Hope this answers your query.

Dr. Jignesh Gorasia