Can HIV be contracted through usage of infected razor?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Sir.
i went to a saloon for a haircut..the barber used a razor to trim my neck..bt i dont know whether
he had used a new blade....bt my neck did not bleed ..but at a point on my neck it was little red. after he trimmed.....bt it did not bleed..
I am afraid of HIV....Plz guide...do i need to test??
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to test

Detailed Answer:

Redness is an irritant reaction to the friction caused by razor.
Generally all the salons now use new blades and do not sacrifice for the sake of 25 paise (the cost of half blade)
Since it did not bleed you should not be bothered at all about HIV.
Hence there is no need to test and panic.

Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 43 minutes later
Maam....before shaving my beard..he out After Shave Lotion on the razor and put a new blade.....i had a pimple of my cheek which he cut and blood came out....i am afraid that although he put After Shave lotion on the razor but may be it did not reach to all part and may Little bit HIV was alive on the razor and it would infect me.plz help maam
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It would not infect

Detailed Answer:
HIV cannot survive outside the body on razors. So there is minimal chance that you get infected.
If you are too afraid and panic you can get a HIV DUO test done after two weeks of exposure to possible incident.
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 5 minutes later
Maam...the barber washed the razor with Anti Shave...then he put new blade before the shave....still if he cuts me..would i be at risk????
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
For all practical purposes, no risk

Detailed Answer:
There seems no risk with what happened with the incident. After shave has high alcohol content in it, so any virus wouldn't survive that environment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj