Can HIV be contracted through urine?

Question
I sat down on a toilet seat on which a relative who is HIV positive had splattered urine. I actually did this twice in a 24 hr. period! Is the urine of an HIV positive person capable of spreading the virus to me? If so, under what conditions would it be possible for me to have the virus in my body?
Fri, 1 Jun 2018 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No worries - HIV cannot spread via toilet seats or urine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I have some good news for you. HIV cannot be transmitted via urine. The only fluids it can be transmitted through are blood, semen, pre-seminal fluid, vaginal secretions, cervical secretions, and breast milk.

HIV cannot be transmitted via urine, sweat, stool, or tears.

You cannot get HIV from toilet seats, insects, air, water, insects, or casual, non-sexual contact.

So you are safe and there is no need to do anything in this situation.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.