Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

180 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Can HIV be contracted through urine?

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 2850 Questions

Posted on Fri, 1 Jun 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I sat down on a toilet seat on which a relative who is HIV positive had splattered urine. I actually did this twice in a 24 hr. period! Is the urine of an HIV positive person capable of spreading the virus to me? If so, under what conditions would it be possible for me to have the virus in my body?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No worries - HIV cannot spread via toilet seats or urine.

Detailed Answer:

I have some good news for you. HIV cannot be transmitted via urine. The only fluids it can be transmitted through are blood, semen, pre-seminal fluid, vaginal secretions, cervical secretions, and breast milk.

HIV cannot be transmitted via urine, sweat, stool, or tears.

You cannot get HIV from toilet seats, insects, air, water, insects, or casual, non-sexual contact.

So you are safe and there is no need to do anything in this situation.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on