Can HIV be contracted through unprotected oral sex?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: hi i would like to talk yo someone
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
We will help you in this regard

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
What is your present problem?
Come out with it in this site. We are here to help you.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 43 minutes later
hi doctor I would like to describe you my sexual life to you, to have your opinion on the matter, In the course of the last year I have been very careful on my sexual life at least that is what I think, 1 frist girl I had vaginal sex with condom but I didn't finish, basically was vaginal sex for 4 minutes 2 second girl gave me a hand job, but she spat on my penis that was it 3 third girl she gave me a blow job with condom on and when I was about to come vaginal sex, still with the condom on 4 the fourth girl is the one that Im worry about she gave me a blow job but with out a condom, no vaginal sex no nothing only recive oral sex. this are my episodes doctor I would like your opinion
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your HIV risk is low as you did not have any anal or vaginal sex

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Hand job is absolutely safe with regards to HIV /STD. Your first sex was a protected one. Human saliva is not infectious as far as HIV is concerned. So spitting over penis also had negligible risk only. Protected oral sex is absolutely safe. Only the last contact, which was an unprotected oral sex carries a low risk for HIV infection. This remote possibility can be ruled out through a HIV test 12 weeks after that episode.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 15 minutes later
Doctor I have been reading that oral sex is not a route for hiv when you are reciving, only for the person giving the oral sex, every where I read states that a blow job is not a route for hiv because saliva does not carry hiv enough for infection in fact it inhibits the disease , what do you make of this, do you know someone who was infected via reciving oral sex ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral sex carries a low HIV transmission risk as per CDC, XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Saliva is not infectious unless it had contaminated with blood. Presence of any oral pathology, gingivitis, oral ulcers will make the saliva of the HIV positive individual to become infectious. As per Center for Disease Control, XXXXXXX USA, both the receptive and insertive oral sex carries a low risk for HIV transmission.(XXXX)
I don't want to frighten you.I had come across a HIV positive individual through oral sex, but he was a receptive oral sex person.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 12 minutes later
Ok doctor so if you have to put in prespective, or in chances, what would you say are mine ? taking in consideration it was one episode, I was the reciver and the girl I have no idea if she is or not in fact hiv positive. The link that you provided I wasn't able to open it, but I will search for the sigth.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV test 12 weeks after the contact will rule out the least possibility.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Medicine is not mathematics to have constant answer every time.
As an insertive partner of unprotected oral sex, your chance of getting HIV is a remote possibility. As you are already worried about the same, it is better to have a HIV test 12 weeks after the last incident and rule out the least possibility of HIV, so that you will be free from mental tension in future and for ever.
Dr S.Murugan