Can HIV be contracted through unprotected oral sex?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hey thanks for your time
I have a recent exposure
I have received unprotected oral sex (she performed blow Job on me ) for less than 5 minutes.i don't notice any blood traces on me
And I don't have any sores or cuts on my penis head .My concern is I don't know about her Oral health and I didn't notice any sores or scares while she was talking .what are my chances to get HIV or any other stds
2) she rubbed her vagina on my penis shaft for less than 1 minute and she didn't touch my penis head .or there are no insertion happened ..please help me
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral sex carries a low risk for STD/HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Oral sex carries a low risk for HIV (infected blood transfusion, sharing needles, anal sex and vaginal sex are considered as high risk activities) as per Center for diseases control, XXXXXXX (United States Public health department).
Rubbing of penis against female external genitals (without any penetration) carries a negligible risk for HIV.
When there is no sore over her external genitals and also over her lip and mouth, the chances of STDs are also remote.
So not to worry.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 38 hours later
Can we get chalamadia or gonnarea for receiving blow job ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chlamydial/Gonococcal infections are unusual for who insert in the mouth

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Pharyngeal Chlamydia and gonorrhea infections are more common with the individual who uses their mouth in the oral sex rather than who inserts their penis.
Chances are remote.
DR S.Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 55 minutes later
If I get tested for HIV RNA on my 9th day .do I need to retest again ?
What are my chances to get HIV from this one time unprotected oral exposure .i am unaware of her oral status and even if she has some sores in her mouth .since my uthera is in her mouth will I be at risk
Brief Answer:
HIV RNA PCR can be considered conclusive 3-4 weeks after the exposure.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
You had your HIV RNA test (qualitative or quantitative?) on 9th day. It can not be considered very much conclusive, even though PCR can pick up the presence of disease as early as 7th day on wards. Moreover HIV RNA PCR test can rule out only HIV 1 infection (which is more common up to the extent of 99.5%) and not HIV 2 infection unless it is specified also for HIV 2 (Rare possibility).
Your HIV risk with oral sex is very low as I mentioned earlier. Urethral opening inside her mouth does not increase the risk.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D