Can HIV be contracted through skin to skin contact?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: red rash. hiv rash or heat rash
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an Image

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I understand that you are concerned about this rash.

I request you to kindly upload an Image so that I am able to guide you better.

You may upload a few clear digital Images either at "Reports Section"

Or else

You may also mail me images at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line of this mail as attention:Dr. Kakkar

Also let me know the duration since you have noticed this rash? Where all on body is it distributed? Do you have any associated symptoms like itching?burning?pain?etc
I would also like to know what makes you worry about this being an Hiv rash? Is there a history Or an event which threatened/ posed a risk of Hiv to you?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 15 minutes later
no itching, no burning, bad rash on neck and top

no bumps. feels like sunburn, every year I get rash from heat, I wasn't out today,

I went for a massage Monday, only water and soap scrub, maybe I was allergic to soap, it was a shower, no sex at all
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not related to Hiv

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thank you.

I don't think that this has anything to do with Hiv.
Moreover, why even consider a possibility of Hiv?; Massage or skin to skin contact is not a risk factor at all for transmission of Hiv. Hiv is only transmitted by sexual contact i.e vaginal, anal or oral sex.
This looks more like a heat rash Or a mild irritant reaction to soaps etc.
I suggest you to apply a topical soothing lotion e.g calamine lotion Or a mild otc topical steroid e.g cortisone cream (hydrocortisone) and that should make it fine.