Can HIV be contracted through protected sexual intercourse?

Dr. BR Hudda

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Sir ,i had protected (with condom) sex with an unknown girl on 18 september ,then i read somwhere that vaginal fluids can contain hiv virus ,earlier i knew that it spread with blood to blood contact only , i started thinking if i get hiv , i took a test on 22 -8 -15,result - non reactive ,again i took a test on 28 -09-15,result non reactive but this time index value shows .07. i feared seeing the index value ,sir what test should i do to know as early as possible ,where the earlest test can i do ,what is cost for the test ,i am not able to serve window period ,i will die may be of heart attack before coming hiv .

please answer sir .
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chances of HIV transmission is unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr XXXXXXX
I had gone through your question diligently and I really appreciate your concern.
Chances of HIV transmission with protected sex (using a condom) is very unlikely until you have any open ulcer or wound in your private parts

In my opinion you should not worry about HIV, just relax,
HIV can transmit through any body fluids including vaginal fluid and semen when it comes in contact with an open ulcer or inflamed mucous membrane.

In your case chances are very very rare and titer value is very much insignificant in your reports, in my opinion you should wait for next 2 to 3 months to test it again
Here once I would like to clear your doubts that chances of HIV transmission with use of condom on single exposure is very unlikely.

Hope this will clear all your doubts and will help you to allay your anxiety
Please feel free to ask for follow up
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. BR Hudda 49 minutes later
Sir my concern is ,i did not have any open sore on my pe__s but under the thigh normaly we get because of underwear .

please tell me about index value .

and realy sir i cannot wait any more ,from last 12 days i cannot sleep thinking of hiv ,
if there is any other test that can give me quick result ,please tell me sir ..........
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
chances of getting HIV is unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome again
Index value tells about your possibility of infection, in your case it's value is very very insignificant so you need not to worry

Chances of getting HIV in your case is very unlikely, however if this issue is troubling you than you should visit a psychiatrist for counselling to allay your anxiety and this irrational fear.
No any other test is available so you just relax and repeat the test after 2 to 3 months.

Hope this answers your question
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad