Can HIV be contracted through protected intercourse?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi!
A couple weeks ago I had protected sex with a sex worker in the Philippines. I came inside her after a few minutes and disposed of the condom properly in the bathroom. I used a latex condom (0.03mm from Japan), and it did not slip or break. Could I have contracted HIV from this event? One of my worries is that this happened in a 3rd world country, where I read the HIV rate has been increasing over the last several years. Does this scenario warrant an HIV test?
I am also worried because I am now back in the States and last night I slept with a girl I just started dating. It was also protected sex with a condom with no problems, but then I started having "worst-case-scenario" anxieties of "what if I transmitted it to her?"
Based on this information, do I have anything to worry about in regards to sleeping with other women? Or should I get tested before I have sex again?
Thanks!
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Protected sex offers a high degree of safety against HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
All sex workers in the third world are not HIV positive. So your sex partner would be likely to remain HIV free.
You had protected exposure with good latex condom. This offers high degree of protection against HIV infection. There are considerable number of spouse of HIV positive people remain HIV free in spite of their protected exposures (which we recommend) for years together.
As long as you are going to have protected exposures in future with your future partners, HIV test not warranted. If you want to have an unprotected sex with anybody or with your fiancee, there is nothing wrong to have a HIV test before continuing such relationship. You will never have guilty complex in future and will have peace of mind.
Dr S.Murugan