Can HIV be contracted through oral sex?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi Doctor, I had a protected sex with a prostitue around 10 days ago. We both did Unprotected oral sex. I did not suck her vagaina but only licked her clit. She sucked my penise. Before the intercourse I asked that lady if she has any infections and she told me that she is clean. But now I have a swollen left tonsil which is very painful.
Doctor, could you please advise me about my chance of getting the hiv infection in this incident.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The risks of getting HIV from performing cunnilingus is very low.

According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control):
"The chance an HIV-negative person will get HIV from oral sex with an HIV-positive partner is extremely low. However, it is hard to know the exact risk because a lot of people who have oral sex also have anal or vaginal sex. The type of oral sex that may be the riskiest is mouth-to-penis oral sex. But the risk is still very low, and much lower than with anal or vaginal sex.

Though the risk of HIV transmission through oral sex is low, several factors may increase that risk, including sores in the mouth or vagina or on the penis, bleeding gums, oral contact with menstrual blood, and the presence of other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

Other STDs, such as syphilis, herpes, gonorrhea and chlamydia, can be transmitted during oral sex."

So - the risk of getting HIV from the interaction you described is unlikely, but there is the risk of other STDs, and even of strep, as some people can carry strep there (although it is uncommon).

I recommend you go in to a clinic where they can swab your throat for culture. While this would not show herpes (because that is a virus rather than bacteria), usually herpes will show itself with little blisters.

I understand that you did not have oral sex on her vagina but the clitoris is close enough to the vagina that infections in the vagina can get there.

Most likely though, your sore throat is entirely unrelated and may be from a respiratory illness.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 8 minutes later
Thank you for your answer doctor.
Is there a chance to get hiv infection even though I had a protected sex?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Vaginal intercourse while wearing a condom is considered a low risk activity for HIV.

There is always some risk with vaginal or anal intercourse but using a condom makes that risk very low.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 5 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your answer.
What would be your advice about the use of self hiv test kit. How accurate they are. Please advise me
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
While the OraQuick test is fairly accurate, and you can take the test immediately to know your baseline, to really know the result, you would have to repeat it in 6 weeks.

I am not concerned about the risk of HIV here. But I do think you should go in to clinic to have your throat swabbed.