• question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through oral sex?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi my name is XXXXXXX and I did the oral hiv test at home and it was negative but I had oral from a guy a year ago who was hiv positive and didn't tell me so in other words I recently got tested and it was negative should I be worried or take another test that has to do with blood ?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry.It is not necessary to do another blood HIV test.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I have been through your question.

Base on your history,( having oral sex), you should know that the chance an HIV-negative person(like you) will get HIV from oral sex with an HIV-positive partner is extremely low.
As well you should know, even that the risk of HIV transmission through oral sex is low, several factors may increase that risk, including sores in the mouth or on the penis, having STI.
But in your case , you shouldn't worry because having a negative oral HIV test result after a year, there is no reason for concern and it is not necessary to do another blood test.

I hope my answer helps you.
Feel free to ask me further.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist