Can HIV be contracted through oral sex?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 9 Jan 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi Dr
I was suffering from severe OCD of HIV since more than a year as i had a risky exposure with a prostitute. From one year i have tested myself 18times with 4th Generation tests all came negative.
Last night after a party I had a brief oral sex for around 5-10 mins with one of my colleagues. Post which I got super scared as already sufferring from OCD
Am i @ risk should i get myself tested again?
please give actual details of on transmission of hiv oral sex?
Should i be worried? I am dead scared now
Please help
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry at all.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

You had risky exposure one year ago and after that you got tested many a times which came negative then you are absolutely safe and risk free so allay the fear or anxiety related to HIV and don't worry.

The risk of having HIV from oral sex is very unlikely because human saliva does not transmit HIV and it also contains an enzyme which inhibits the growth of HIV virus so be relaxed and move ahead in life.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 37 minutes later
Hi Dr
Just a follow up i also had performed oral fr 10 mins on my friend am i still safe?
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are still safe.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

You are still safe even though you had oral with the friend because the risk from this exposure is very unlikely so just calm down and move on. If still you had any further query feel free to ask me any time.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 4 hours later
Hi Dr.
Thanks for update the issue is in many websites there are so many diff things written on oral sex risk which is really confusing unable to understand the real picture. Some say there are cases registered who got infected due to Oral sex.
What is the real picture should i get tested?
How realiable is 4th Gen tests after 15 days of exposure doc please share the real odds.
Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
4th generation test is highly reliable after 15 days.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back once again.

The risk of getting HIV from oral sex is very unlikely as per my knowledge and I have not seen any registered case till date through this kind of exposure so I will advice you not to think much upon HIV depending on the facts published on internet as it will make you more confuse.

4th generation HIV test is more than 90% reliable after 15 days of exposure and it is very unlikely possibility of HIV in your case so just calm down, forget about the episode and move ahead. If still any doubt left feel free to ask me any time and I am always here to help you out.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar