question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through oral sex?

Posted on Mon, 7 Nov 2016
Question: I bit the inside of my upper lip and it bled briefly, then 2 hours later I performed oral sex with a man who ejacualted. HIV status unknown. What are the chances of HIV transmission? (I'm on Truvada as part of PREP )
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Negligible risk

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.

The risk is very very low, estimated to be around 1/20 000 , even less if there wasn't any active bleeding. So I don't think you should be concerned at all.

If you have any doubts about status of your partner, you can get done HIV tests but generally I don't think this is required.

Feel free to discuss further

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon