Can HIV be contracted through oral sex?
Oral sex carries a low risk for HIV transmission.
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for posting your query.
Oral sex carries a low risk as per Centers for Disease Control, XXXXXXX USA.
The risk of vaginal insertive sex (one of the high risk activity) is around 4-8 per 10000 exposures. (http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/policies/law/risk.html). Then you can image low risk means how remote the possibility is.
All the sex workers are not necessarily HIV positive. Even if we consider her HIV positive, if she has some oral pathology and if her saliva got mixed with blood, then only there is risk with oral sex. Human saliva is not infectious for HIV unless it is mixed with HIV. So risk is very low.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Oral sex protected intercourse contracted gonorrhea risk of hiv
- Is there a possibility of contracting hiv after oral sex
- Why is catching hiv through oral sex
- How risky it is to get hiv from oral sex
- Contracting hiv through oral sex
- Risk of contracting hiv from oral sex
- Chances of contracting hiv from oral sex
- Had oral sex ejaculated out risk of hiv
- Had oral sex concerned about hiv
- What are the risk of hiv with oral sex