question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through oral sex?

Posted on Tue, 10 May 2016
Question: I have received oral from a woman I didn't know very well 6 days ago and I'd like to know my chances of contracting hiv. I'm freaking out about it, she had no cuts or sores and I have no cuts on my genitals either.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Oral sex carries a low risk for HIV transmission.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Oral sex carries a low risk as per Centers for Disease Control, XXXXXXX USA.
The risk of vaginal insertive sex (one of the high risk activity) is around 4-8 per 10000 exposures. (http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/policies/law/risk.html). Then you can image low risk means how remote the possibility is.
All the sex workers are not necessarily HIV positive. Even if we consider her HIV positive, if she has some oral pathology and if her saliva got mixed with blood, then only there is risk with oral sex. Human saliva is not infectious for HIV unless it is mixed with HIV. So risk is very low.
Dr S.Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist