question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through oral sex?

Posted on Mon, 23 Nov 2015
Question: I have unprotected oral sex with HIV girl I think
How much percent of chance to get HIV infection from her?
A week later i got swollen meatus, raw skin in penis openning, my glans color chnaged to paler or gray and also have small bump on it :(
Have several tested for STD and seab all result are negative
I dont what cause my penis to be like this doctors :( please help and drop some good advises pleaae
Thanks for your good andwer doctor!!

Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid (37 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
The risk of getting HIV infection from oral sex is less.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome to HCM.

The risk of getting HIV infection from unprotected oral sex is less as compared to vaginal or anal sex. The girl is HIV positive in your case so I will advice you to go for 4th generation HIV DUOS test or HIV RNA PCR test after 15 days of exposure to get the accurate result about your status.

As far as swollen meatus, raw skin on penis and changed glans colour is concerned it might be due to some other infection because all your tests for other STDs are also negative. For this you can go to your local physician and do some investigations to isolate the cause and take treatment according to that. Don't worry much and move ahead.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist