Can HIV be contracted through non-penetrative sexual activity?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: A few months ago,It happened in February this year,and I found a girl do massage for me,The girl just served for my penis with her hand and breast,and I ejaculated on her breast.(I haven't had Vaginal intercourse with prostitute since 2014).When she finished,I found that my penis had been scratched,and there were a small amount of blood flow out,maybe by her fingernail.After six days,I began to diarrhea,but I didn't have a fever,and Diarrhea continued for a week.After 36 days,I did a test With three generations of reagent,chemiluminescence,the result was negative.Chinese doctor said 36 days is not enough,you should at least wait six weeks or eight weeks.
I checked the girl's hand and breast,I didn't see the wound.
I want to know whether I should test again for that thing. Is there the risk to infection?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The risk is very unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

The risk of contracting HIV through massage without any vaginal intercourse and the exposure you had mentioned is very unlikely. As such the test result after 36 days is also reliable and accurate but still it is better to get tested after 6 and 12 weeks as per international HIV guidelines so don't get worried or anxious.

Diarrhea might be due to some gastric infection or food poisoning for which take symptomatic treatment after consulting your physician. Just calm down as the risk is very remote in your case so forget about the episode, get done the test after six weeks and get back to me with result.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 35 minutes later
Hello Doctor,your said the risk is very unlikely.It means maybe or no risk?The sex worker only served for me with her hand and breast,not other service,even the sex worker did not take off her skirt and underwear.She touched my penis only hand and breast and massage oil.I checked her hand,didn't found wound,and I saw her breast ,I didn't see wound or blood.
But my penis indeed had been scratched,a small wound,and have blood flow out.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Practically no risk.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

From the details you had mentioned about the exposure the risk is practically zero so allay the fear and don't get anxious. Get tested after 6 weeks just to relieve the anxiety and clear all your doubts. The result will surely come in your favor. If still any query left feel free to ask me and I am always here to help you.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 51 minutes later
Hello Doctor,please forgive me annoying.You said Practically no risk and practically zero,can I understand it is equal to no risk and zero.I am sorry,My English is not very well. If I can't understand like that,you think where the risk come from?
Because of Diarrhea?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No risk.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back once again.

You can definitely consider that there is no risk on your case and the reason for diarrhea would be bacterial infection or food poisoning not HIV so don't worry and move ahead in life happily.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 20 hours later
Hello Doctor,Maybe you are right,It is practically no risk,rather than no risk.Because when the sex worker served for my penis,either I had closed my eyes,or lying on the massage bed and back to her,I can't see her hand,just felt her hand.If she wanted to deliberately infect me,for example,she firstly touched her privates,then she massaged my penis using that hand.That might be happen? I don't know.But I am sure that the sex worker didn't take off her underwear and skirt.
Doctor,Do you think that could happen?If I don't want to test again ,that is OK?
Brief Answer:
No it is not possible.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

The way of transmission of infection you had told is not possible so don't worry. It is fine if you don't want to get tested as the test is just to relieve your anxiety and allay the fear of HIV completely.

Thank You