• question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through non-penetrative sexual activity during menstruation?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi Doctor,

I'm a 30 year old male who is not sexually active from the past 8 months. This incident happened 5 weeks ago. I met a 25 female asian escort who was also a massage therapist. When the massage started we both were topless and wearing just the underwears. I was lying on my back and she climbed on me. We kissed each other on the lips but there was no deep kissing or open mouth kissing. We hugged and rubbed against each other for 5mins. Then i stopped her and i put condom on by myself, the lady didnt touch my penis. I was not fully aroused at that time. After putting condom on, i wore my underwear back. So at this point i was wearing a condom and also an underwear and the lady was still wearing an underwear. Then we continued the same cuddling, kissing (Superficial) and rubbing against each other for 15 more mins and I ejaculated inside my condom. THERE WAS NO INTERCOURSE, NO ORAL SEX AND NO HAND TO GENITALS CONTACT AT ALL. After I ejaculated, I got scared and asked her if she ejaculated too. She said no and she is under menstruation and had a Tampon inside her vagina. She showed me her vagina and I didnt see any traces of blood outside her vagina or in the pelvis area.

Questions of concern:
1. Is it possible for a female to release vaginal fluid under menstruation and the fluid to come out despite wearing a tampon
2. Can the vaginal fluid make it's way from her underwear on to my underwear and then into my penis opening during the 5 mins period when i didnt wear a condom
3. I'm not sure about her HIV status, but assuming she is HIV+, are there any chances that I might get infected with the above mentioned contact with her
4. I had cough from past 10 days and have itchy skin rashes on my hands and legs too. The rashes are very tiny. Are these symptoms of HIV
5. Has there been any cases who got infected with simliar kind of exposure

Please answer the above questions
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your chances of getting HIV is negligible

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM
Thanks for posting your query
All your activities carry a negligible risk for HIV.

1. Women are likely to have Vaginal fluid during menstruation. Menstrual blood also is infectious, if the woman has HIV infection. But it is unlikely as they are also aware of the risk of HIV transmission in their profession and take precautions and periodical check up.

2. It is unlikely to get HIV infection when both of you on your underclothes even if we consider her as HIV positive.

3. No such reports of HIV transmission with the clothes on.

4. Your symptoms are unlikely to be due to HIV as they are quite common symptoms anybody can get at any point of time. Close intimacy during such activities can cause ordinary cold or throat infection not related to HIV.

5. You will not likely to get HIV through these activities.

So nothing to worry.

Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Is negligible risk is equal to no risk ? Can the above mentioned encounter be considered as safe sex or no risk exposure?

Do you suggest me to go for hiv testing after 12 weeks?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
By testing you will be doubly sure that you are free from HIV

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Negligible risk is almost nil risk. Nothing of your sexual activities have high or low risk for HIV infection as per CDC, XXXXXXX
Regarding testing after 12 weeks, it will definitely likely to come as nonreactive for HIV 1 and 2 infection. Ruling out HIV by testing, will relieve unnecessary tension and doubt from your mind. So I recommend HIV testing and rule out beyond any doubt. It will have more surity than my words.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 11 hours later
Thank you Doctor...

I also met a HIV/AIDS specialist near me and she did not recommend HIV testing for my case. That was a relief by the way...

Despite of these feedbacks, the reason for my anxiety and fear after 6 weeks of exposure is the sudden appearance of skin rashes. They appear as a tiny pimple on the visible parts of my body like hands fingers and legs. Some pimples form a line of 2 or 3 and few appear individually. All of them are itchy and I'm using HydroChortisone to stop itchy feeling. Moreover I was using antibiotics for my cough which actually helped my cough to reduce.

I dont know, keeping my fingers crossed and just waiting for remaining 6 weeks to complete.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult a Dermatologist and get well soon

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
HIV test is not necessary for you. Only for your confidence sake, I recommended HIV test. Otherwise in future, every small ailment like headache will be likely to disturb you. Your mind will try to attribute this to HIV.
Hydrocortisone cream sometime would like to produce lesions like pimples. Consult a Dermatologist and get well soon.
Dr S Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist