Can HIV be contracted through non-penetrative sex?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Sex worker spit on penis while giving me a footjob ! Do I need to get tested for hiv now ? Risk ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV transmission risk through spitting on penis is negligible.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
All the sex workers are not necessarily HIV positive as they are well aware their risk in their job, they would take adequate precautions and periodic check ups. Even if we consider that she is HIV positive woman, there are many factors decide the transmission of HIV infection. Virulence of organisms, host immune system, traumatic abrasions during sexual act, presence of other STI, and their viral load etc.
Moreover, human saliva does not contain adequate viral concentration to produce a new HIV infection.
So spitting over your penis carries a negligible risk for HIV. HIV tests are not necessary for you. But for the sake of mental relief, you can undertake HIV tests and rule out the same. Otherwise the thought of HIV will annoy you much.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 4 days later
This happen 8 days ago ! And now I just got a small flu? My anxiety keeps thinking it's a hiv symptom:( ? So there's no way I coulda got hiv from that footjob with saliva ? :(

M I over thinking thing ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are not related to HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Earliest HIV symptoms can occur only after 3-4 weeks after the infection, if any. Not earlier than that. So your symptoms could not be due HIV infection. Fever or flu like symptoms can occur to anybody at any time in the absence of HIV infection. It can be due to various reasons like bacterial or viral. You can consult your physician and get well.

You will not get HIV infection through a saliva spitting.

Dr S Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 39 hours later
So I can safely have unprotected sex with partner without worrying about hiv from the saliva handjob ?thanks
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ruling out HIV with test and resume sex will relieve unnecessary tension.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
If you are sure that there is only hand job or foot job of penis which is wet with saliva, then there is nothing wrong in resuming your unprotected sexual activities. At the same time, resuming sex after ruling out HIV with tests will make you more tension free in future as you had already got disturbed very much.
Dr S.Murugan