Can HIV be contracted through non-penetrative sex?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I was masturbated during morrocon bath at a massage parlor. Also he was rubbing by Anus. In between he was touching his Penis but he didn't ejaculate. My worry is what if he got his precum in his hand or finger and it touched my Penis or went inside my Anus while he was rubbing my Anus. I am worried of HIV risk
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is practically no risk

Detailed Answer:
Helo. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar (dermatologist and venereologist). I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern.

Firstly there is no risk of HIV through either touching or masturbation. Though precum from an HIV positive person would be infectious but the virus would not be able to survive outside the body for any amount of time and dies quickly on drying and also the entry of virus which is facilitated through minute tears in genital mucosa sustained during sexual intercourse does not happen with just touching or rubbing. Moreover, precum is usually less in amount as compared to semen and that too would mean that it dries out quickly even if it is in contact with genital mucosa.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Thanks for the Answer.
Rubbing Anus - I am not sure if the finger must have entered little bit as he was rubbing like a vibrator. And what if I have hemorrhoids or minor cuts; though I didn't feel any such thing that day.
Virus dies outside body - But how soon, because it may just take a second to two from his hand contact to mine. Does it becomes inactive immediately once exposed to Air.
I read at many places that its not risky and your answer has really eased me upto an great extent. but still I am worried and not able to forget the moment.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

The virus dies quickly on drying.
Even if the person was HIV infected, only a small amount of precum would dry out fast and make the virus unviable. Moreover the virus has to gain entry into the body either through a tear or abrasion as would happen during a sexual intercourse. Even during an unprotected vaginal sexual intercourse with an HIV positive individual there is only 1 in 2500 chances of infection. Hence considering the scenario there is hardly any risk of HIV for you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Thanks for all your explanation. I got tested today i.e 30th day from the days of exposure. HIV (1&2 ab/p24 Ag) combo and it came non reactive.
Hope this confirms that I am safe.
Thanks once again for all your detailed explained answers.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes. This test is confirmatory.
Thank you for writing to us.