• question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through exposure of the eyes to contaminated water?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Infections
Question: I WAS CLOSING GARBAGE BAG IN THE PROCESS I GOT SPLASHED IN MY EYE I AM NOT SURE WHAT THE LIQUID WAS ANY HIV HEP B,C RISK
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Minimal risk

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but there is a risk of exposure if the fluid that splashed in your eyes contains body fluids as urine or blood. I would recommend that you take a hepatitis b vaccine if you were not previously vaccinated . as for HIV risk then you should take a basic 4-week regimen of zidovudine and lamivudine. as for hepatitis c exposure , then you should follow up with pcr testing after 1 and 3 months . I hope I answered your question . if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
its not blood or urine its related to food+ i leave alone no hiv hep b,c risk?

since i picked up garbage in my apt
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, if the fluid that splashed in your eyes was from your apartement's garbage and contains no body fluids then there is no need to worry and there won't be any risk of infection. I hope you find this helpful. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 14 minutes later
thanks i really dont think its body fluids since i leave alone except the bags that i put garbage were from a store so do you agree its not urine or blood? thanks doc
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No risk

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, if you live alone then there is no possibility of infection even if you get empty garbage bags from the store , there is no need to worry. I hope you find this helpful. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
i bought soup i put the soup in a card board container as i was eating my lips came in contact to the edge of the card board container any hiv hep b,c risk

and since i licked my lips any hiv hep b,c risk
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, no risk

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir , no there is no risks and. you can't get infected from yourself .. I hope you find this helpful..
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 5 hours later
so my lips touching the container is not hiv hep b,c risk?

i mean since i lick my lips after my lips touched the container no hiv hep b,c risk?

the container was on the shelf in the store
so i lick my lips after my lips touched the container no hiv hep b,c risk?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No risk

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I understand your concerns but there is no need to worry and there will be no risk of HIV or hepatitis after licking your lips that have touched the container.. I hope you find this helpful. if you don't have any other clarifications please close the discussion
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 3 hours later
my head touched a pole and people merchandise on a train since my head came in contact to my pillow any hiv hep b,c risk since my face clean shaved with some cuts on my face touched the pillow in the same spot were my head touched and again since my head came in contact to a pole and people merchandise any hiv hep b,c risk

so any hiv hep b,c risk since i got cuts on my face
Brief Answer:
No risk

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,I understand how worried you are but still there is no need to worry as infection needs a contact with your blood stream which will not happen from a minor cut on your face. I hope I answered your question . if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman