• question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through contaminated hands?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: picking my nose while my hands are not washed clean any hiv hep b,c risk
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no risk for HIV or Hepatitis B or C unless infected blood is on your hands

Detailed Answer:

you can't get HIV, hepatitis B or C by picking your nose unless your hands have fresh infected blood and you injure your nose. There is a risk for other diseases though like common respiratory viruses for example. Hepatitis A can also be transmitted from contaminated hands to a susceptible individual.

Kind regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 10 minutes later
i leave alone so i cant get any blood on my hands but i did went out to shop do you still agree that i am risk free from hiv hep b,c

another question
2 incidents

i was cut from a screw the screw is in my violin case any hiv hep b,c risk
than the cut touched a rope that is connected to my vioiln case
since the rope came in contact to the floor on a train any hiv hep b,c risk
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 42 hours later
Brief Answer:
still no risk

Detailed Answer:
Unless there is infected blood (from someone else obviously) you can't get any such disease. HIV is much harder to get but hepatitis B and C also require blood to blood or sexual contact to be transmitted.

Kind regards!

Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
If this is the exposure you were talking about then you can be sure that there is no real risk...

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
i now there was no someone else blood on the screw how ever since the rope touched the floor train before the rope touched the cut so that was indirect contact should i be worry maybe there was blood on the floor train?

by the way i did wiped the rope with paper towel using ammonia and i did not see any blood but still let me know if i am at risk if there was any blood on the floor
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
no risk

Detailed Answer:
Please don't worry anymore about it. There is no risk! Keep in mind that even direct blood to blood contact (like being pierced with an infected syringe) does not always lead to transmission. Actually the risk is low - thankfully because many health care professionals are exposed this way to various communicable diseases.

I hope you find my words reassuring enough!

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis