• question-icon

    Can HIV be contracted through contact with contaminated bodily fluid?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I was using the bathroom at work and noticed clear fluid on the floor. I wasn't sure if it was minr or someone else's. I wiped it up with toilet paper. I then went to brush my teeth and I realized that I forgot to wash my hands. My fingers didn't get in my mouth but I touched the toothbrush and that did get in my mouth. I have a healing gum sore. I'm worried I may have gotten HIV.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No chance of getting HIV in this fashion

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for using HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern.

I'd advise you not to worry, it is almost zero chance ( impossible) to get infected with HIV in your case.
The virus is not transmitted through urine cause it does not show up in urine when a person has HIV.

So, even if that clear fluid's (urine) belonged to that person, assuming that having HIV, it's impossible for you to get infected. HIV is transmitted when you have close contact with a person that is infected (blood, semen, vaginal and cervical secretions, breast milk). Not to worry about the healing gum sore either.

Just discard the brush and practice good hand hygiene from now on.

Hope you find my answer is helpful.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Take Care!
Dr Balliu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 9 minutes later
What if that fluid was some other bodily fluid? I'm not sure which fluid it was.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No chance

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

HIV (the virus) needs a very good environment to survive that means that besides being in contact with the fluid it's important to have very close contact (so being in contact with the fluid during sexual relationship/ direct contact/"body" to "body" ) otherwise it's not possible to get infected cause the virus will already be dead (can not survive in the outside environment.

However, you can always be tested for HIV if you want further assurance and absolute confirmation.

Take Care!
Dr Balliu.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Answered by
Dr. Rudina Balliu

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2015

Answered : 420 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  HIV

doctor1 MD

I have no problem getting an erection but when I slip on a condon for sex I quickly lose it. This is a problem for me as I will have a lovely...

doctor1 MD

My girl and I had a sex on march 1, and we used condom but she is not having menstural cycle which was supposed to be on March 13, we are afraid...

doctor1 MD

I had unprotected sex 3-4 days before my period...during intercourse I noticed little blood..what must have caused that? I had an ipill within 2...

doctor1 MD

Hi I had intercourse last Saturday night using a condom. I was in the middle of my periods but we decided I should take the morning after pill just...

doctor1 MD

I just had a mutual masturbation session with a sex worker However she removed her hand from inside her vagina and used it roughly on my penis in a...

doctor1 MD

i bought food the food was in a container with a plastic at the top covering the container how ever i notice the plastic on 1 container was...

doctor1 MD

Dear doctor thanks for your valuable reply however my further query is for last two weeks I have a mild rash under my eye which is persistent and...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

186 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Rudina Balliu
  • Q - Suggest treatment for vertigo

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe whiplash along with upper back and shoulder...

  • Q - Suggest treatment for constipation and severe pressure in the lower abdomen

  • Q - Suggest treatment for bilateral hip pain and osteoporosis

  • Q - What is dysphagia?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for dry and flaky skin on face along with pimples

  • Q - Can Magnesium and Psyllium be taken for constipation daily?

  • Q - What causes red blisters at the corner of the mouth?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain in the rib cage post injury

  • Q - Suggest alternative treatment for high cholesterol levels