• question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through contact with contaminated bodily fluid?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I was using the bathroom at work and noticed clear fluid on the floor. I wasn't sure if it was minr or someone else's. I wiped it up with toilet paper. I then went to brush my teeth and I realized that I forgot to wash my hands. My fingers didn't get in my mouth but I touched the toothbrush and that did get in my mouth. I have a healing gum sore. I'm worried I may have gotten HIV.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No chance of getting HIV in this fashion

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for using HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern.

I'd advise you not to worry, it is almost zero chance ( impossible) to get infected with HIV in your case.
The virus is not transmitted through urine cause it does not show up in urine when a person has HIV.

So, even if that clear fluid's (urine) belonged to that person, assuming that having HIV, it's impossible for you to get infected. HIV is transmitted when you have close contact with a person that is infected (blood, semen, vaginal and cervical secretions, breast milk). Not to worry about the healing gum sore either.

Just discard the brush and practice good hand hygiene from now on.

Hope you find my answer is helpful.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Take Care!
Dr Balliu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 9 minutes later
What if that fluid was some other bodily fluid? I'm not sure which fluid it was.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No chance

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

HIV (the virus) needs a very good environment to survive that means that besides being in contact with the fluid it's important to have very close contact (so being in contact with the fluid during sexual relationship/ direct contact/"body" to "body" ) otherwise it's not possible to get infected cause the virus will already be dead (can not survive in the outside environment.

However, you can always be tested for HIV if you want further assurance and absolute confirmation.

Take Care!
Dr Balliu.

Dr. Rudina Balliu