Can HIV be contracted through contact with bodily fluids?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Sir, while I was travelling on my bike a person from another bike spitted from his mouth and some drops fell into my eyes. If that person is affected by HIV and if he has any blood in his mouth and it has been mixed with his saliva then is there any chance of HIV infection to me by this way ???? Do I nees any HIV test for this incident???? Please help me....
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no chance of HIV infection if spit droplets landed on your eyes

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

There is no chance of you getting HIV in the situation where someone from another bike spit by mistake and droplets from him landed on your eyes.

HIV cannot be transmitted by saliva and there is no way you will get it. Even if he had blood in mouth, it should be in sufficient quantity and this will not happen in droplets of spit landing on your eyes.

There is no need of HIV testing for you.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.