Can HIV be contracted through contact of wound in chlorine water?

Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I went down a water slide in to a chlorinated pool when I stood up an earring at the bottom of the pool pierced my foot. It stuck all the way in, when I pulled it out it bled Is there am hiv risk? What if it just fell out of some one, I assume the chlorine would kill it. I am up to date on vaccination for hep and tetanus but worried about hiv being on an earring
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
100% no risk of infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.

You have absolutely no risk of HIV infection at all. The HIV does not survive outside body for more than minutes. In water an object dropped has no risk of HIV infection. You must not worry about it and need no tests. It is good that you have taken tetvac it is all that is needed.

Hope I answered your query
You can take a follow up query
A review will be appreciated.
Dr Sheetal Verma