Can HIV be contracted through contact of saliva on genitals and a foot job?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2019 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Sex worker spit on penis while giving me a footjob ! Do I need to get tested for hiv now ? Risk ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV transmission risk through spitting on penis is negligible.

Detailed Answer:

All sex workers are not necessarily HIV positive as they are well aware of their risk in their job, they would take adequate precautions and periodic check ups. Even if we consider that she is an HIV positive woman, there are many factors to decide the transmission of HIV infection. Virulence of organisms, host immune system, traumatic abrasions during sexual act, presence of other STI and their viral load etc.

Moreover, human saliva does not contain adequate viral concentration to produce a new HIV infection. Spitting on the penis carries a negligible risk for HIV. HIV tests are not necessary for you. But for the sake of mental relief, you can undertake HIV tests and rule out the same. Otherwise the thought of HIV will annoy you much.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. S. Murugan
HIV AIDS Specialist
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 4 days later
This happen 8 days ago ! And now I just got a small flu? My anxiety keeps thinking it's a hiv symptom:( ? So there's no way I coulda got hiv from that footjob with saliva ? :(

M I over thinking thing ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are not related to HIV.

Detailed Answer:

Earliest HIV symptoms can occur only after 3-4 weeks after the infection, if any. Not earlier than that. So your symptoms could not be due HIV infection. Fever or flu like symptoms can occur to anybody at any time in the absence of HIV infection. It can be due to various reasons like bacterial or viral. You can consult your physician and get well.

You will not get HIV infection through saliva spitting.

Dr. S. Murugan
HIV AIDS Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 39 hours later
So I can safely have unprotected sex with partner without worrying about hiv from the saliva handjob ?thanks
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ruling out HIV with test and resuming sex will relieve unnecessary tension.

Detailed Answer:

If you are sure that there is only hand job or foot job of penis which is wet with saliva, then there is nothing to wrong in resuming your unprotected sexual activities. At the same time, resuming sex after ruling out HIV with tests will make you more tension free in the future as you had already got disturbed very much.

Dr. S. Murugan
HIV AIDS Specialist