Can HIV be contracted through a single act of unprotected intercourse?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I had sex and the condom broke n my partner came inside me. Both got EIA rapid test done n reports were negative.
Still I was scared and took PEP for a week . But due to severe side effects I stopped taking it after a week since my partner was negative. Now I'm scared of HIV what if he was in window period.
Any test that I can take immediately that will give a confirmation about my HIV status.
It all happened on 11 feb 2017.
Kindly guide me I'm in a state of panic.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The risk is very unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome to HCM.

The risk of getting HIV from single unprotected act of sex is very unlikely and your partner is negative also as well as taken PEP for one week so the risk of contracting HIV from this exposure is very less.

There is no such test which will give you confirmed result immidiately but it at present 2 weeks already passed after the exposure so you can go for RNA PCR test to get highly reliable and conclusive result so be relaxed and move ahead in life happily.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 6 minutes later
Thank you doctor.

I want to know if PEP was warranted in first place ? I developed Jaundice from PEP and I stopped taking it since the risk seemed less. But I started panicking after stopping it.
Anyway , will PEP have any impact on PCR test ?. How accurate will be the result from PCR test if I take it now.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The result is more than 90% reliable.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

PEP has no impact on the result of PCR test and it is above 90% reliable and accurate after 15 days of exposure so just calm down and get tested for HIV. The result will definitely come in your favor. PEP is not adviced if you had developed side effect after starting and as such your risk is also very unlikely.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 38 minutes later
Thank you doctor.

My last question.

I would like to test myself for any other STIs Kindly tell me the appropriate time for it to be done. Would be great if you can mention major tests that I need to take for STIs.

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No such need to get tested for STI.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome back once again.

As such no testing for STI is required but if still you want to go for test then get nucleic acid technique done for gonorrhea, syphilis and chlamydia. Don't get tensed or worried and move on in life happily.

Thank You