Can HIV be contracted through a prick wound from an infected pin?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I got deeply pricked by a stapler pin and drew blood and came to know that an office boy of ours had also been pricked by the same pin (attached on a newspaper) a few moments before. will I get HIV if he is HIV+??
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Prick happened immediately after office boy's prick,isa remote possibility

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM

Pricking by stapler pin for two people at the same time is quite unusual. HIV can not be viable outside the body fluid for not more than few seconds.Drying will kill the virus. So transmission in this way is a remote possibility. If your office boy is HIV positive (rare possibility) and the prick had happened immediately or subsequent to the prick you got, then there is a chance for the transmission of HIV. That too, is practically a rare possibility only.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 27 minutes later
There was a time gap of a few minutes after he got pricked, is there is a possibility of some blood being retained on the pin and that leading to a transmission after I got pricked with the same needle after a few minutes.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hiv transmission is not possible in this way.

Detailed Answer:
HI,
Welcome back.
If there was some time gap between the two pricks as of few minutes, it is not at all possible for the transmission of an infection in this way as HIV can not survive for minutes, even if the blood had been retained in the stapler pin.
Dr S.Murugan