Can HIV be contracted through a cut caused during a hair cut?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Infections
Question: another silly question. I know have an HIV phobia, I get it. However here is my question. My barber cut a skin tab on my head while cutting my hair with electric clippers. If he cut some one else before me is it possible to get hiv or any other blood borne pathogeon?.

They say they disinfect the clippers between customers, but what if they didn't. All the research I have done on the wen says transmission is impossible this way. But I wanted a docs opinion to calm my fears.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hello! Ι have been through your question.

Detailed Answer:
Related your concern I think that based on your data that there was only a skin cut not bleeding the possibility to get HIV or other blood burn pathology is zero( but only a local skin infection). I emphasize there was no risk of HIV transmission to you at the barbershop.
HIV is not commonly known to survive long periods in the open air and its risk remains small with small cuts with blood. HIV does not pass to humans from inanimate objects such as razors, scissors or other equipment.

You should use some antiseptic to exclude a skin infection etc and making sure you are up on your tetanus boosters is always a good idea to prevent it.
I hope my answer helps you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 9 minutes later
my skin tab did bleed when it was cut
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello xxxxxxxxxx again. Thank you writing back.

Detailed Answer:
You should know that the most common blood-borne pathogens are Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, and HIV.
But even there could be a bleeding skin cut the only risk is to get infected by HEP B and C, but not by HIV.
I am fairly confident that there are no known cases, globally, where HIV ever been transmitted from customer to customer at a barber or hair salon.

The HIV-acquisition risk from a barber's clippers is nonexistent because HIV is a fragile virus. It doesn't survive very long at all outside the body and also there wouldn't be enough fresh blood on the clippers to pose a threat for transmission of HIV.
I hope my answer helps you.
Please be free to ask me any question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 2 days later
Thanks,

I have been vaccinated against Hep B I have had numerous other vaccines as well

They say they disinfect all equipment between guests I guess I believe them. I assume the dis disinfectant would be strong enough to kill Hep c

So no HIV risk at all correct

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello again. Thank you writing back.

Detailed Answer:
Of course, if they have done a safe disinfection as you say and you have done hep B vaccination,I emphasises again that there is not any risk of getting HIV, as well Hep B and C.

I hope my answer helps you.
Be free to ask me any question.