• question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through a condom?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Condom got stuck inside vagina what are the chances of catching std or hiv
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

i am dr.kakkar(dermatologist and venereologist)

I would like to more from you in order to guide you better.
So does it imply that you are not aware at what point during sex the condom came off and you noticed it in the end!! right? Was there ejaculation?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 29 minutes later
There was no ejaculation the condom was dry on the inside

When he pulled his penis out I started to jerk him off and didn't feel the condom when I checked inside of me I pulled it out it looked dry he put on a new condom and ejaculated in the condom then he started to finger me after we were done I came and saw that there was white discharge I check his condom that he ejaculated in and squeeze to make sure there were no holes or damage don't me to the condom wanted to make sure is there any way that I can catch std or job through this we did kiss with tongue he did finger me he put his penis in my vagina with a condom pulled out the condom was stuck inside me pulled out the condom he put on another one and wjaculated inside that condom checked and squeezed to make sure no sperm was leaking also to make sure the condom want damaged do u think I'm at risk for any std or hiv I also checked his penis and Genital area to make sure there weren't any visible sores or cuts as well as his hands
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggest screening at 4 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Since you are not sure about whether the condom came off during the sexual act (which makes the intercourse unprotected) Or when he was withdrawing his penis at the end, therefore I suggest you to screen for STDs, including Hiv at 4 weeks.
The tests that I would suggest in particular are Hiv with an P24 Antigen and Anti Hiv antibody test (Hiv Duo Test), VDRL for syphilis and IgG and IgM ELISA for Hsv-1 and 2.
Absence of any visible sores or warts on his genitalia, though a good thing, is however not a sure shot way to presume that he was STD negative as the infections can be silent.
Most of the times this situation arises due to over sized condom in partner. So you and your partner need to take care of that in future.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist