Can HIV be contracted from unprotected oral sex?

Posted on Fri, 24 Nov 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello,

I had in February a rhinoplasty so the doctor gave me prednisone for 20 days starting 40mg for 5 days and later getting less and less till 10 mg. After a couple of days to stop tking it I made oral sex to a guy, although he didn't cum in me I'm worried about hiv, i made a test (antibody test) after 6 months and a half and came out negativ, can i close that chapter now? Or should i get tested again? I'm afraid the prednisone could delay the window period, I also had 5 months ago a shot of tetanus due to an injury.

Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry!

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

Based on your history, having oral sex without precume, you should know that there is a little to no risk to get HIV infection.
Furthermore, taking Prednisone 20 days with these doses, does not affect the HIV testing window period, so having a negative result of HIV test after 6 months is very conclusive.
Taking shot tetanous doesn't affect the result of HIV test as well.
So, based on these facts you are free of HIV and it is not necessary to do other HIV tests.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 3 hours later
Thank you so much, I asked because I'm worried that I have a cold since 3 months that comes and goes, is it related to Hiv? Or it could only be a bad luck time for me? Should I get another hiv test?

Doctor sorry for my second question, I forgot to stage the doctor also recommended me a cream for my nose which I didn't even use half of it. It's 10g cream with 0,02% Dexamethason 21-acetat. Like I said, I only used half of it, did this amount of Dexamethason could also delay the window period?

Greetings
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry!

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.

Even in this situation ,using of dexamethason craem doesn't impact in the window period and in the HIV test result.
So, I think that these symptoms above mentioned are not related to HIV but could be just viral situation.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 6 minutes later
Thank you so much doctor, so in conclusion. Should I get tested again or should I close this chapter now?

Greetings
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not necessary to get tested again.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.

Based on your data, having a negativ result of HIV test after 6 months of a risky exposure, I emphasize again that this is conclusive. There is not necessary to do a HIV test again.
You are free of HIV .

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vishesh Rohatgi
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 27 hours later
Thank you so much doctor! And just a last question, do any StD can interfere in the window period of hiv? For example gonorrea or sifilis. And if also those diseases are not delayed because of the prednisone I took before the risky situation. It's because I've heard sifilis and gonorrea or herpes can be transmited through oral sex.

Greetings

And doctor another question, when is it conclusive an Hepatitis b and c test? i also tested after 6 months negative but i dont know If it's also conclusive and always my fear is the prednisone and tetanus shot, if this also could lead to a delayed seroconversion of hepatitis b and c.

Greetings
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
STD cannot interfere in the window period of HIV .

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.

You have right that gonorrhea syphilis and HSV could be transmeted from oral sex.
But STD cannot interfere in the window period of HIV and STD are not delayed because of the prednisone you have taken before.
You should know that hep Band C tests after 6 months from exposure is very conclusive.
Usually the prednisone (as you had taken) and shot tetanous don't impact in the seroconversion of hep B and C .

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist