Can HIV be contracted from unprotected intercourse with unknown person?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: hi doctor. I am XXXXXXX and 31 years old male. I have unprotected sex with unknown girl before 1.5 years, after that I have taken lot of hiv tests and all are negative (/After 3 months of exposure I taken maximum hiv duo 6 tests /and one rt pcr rna qualitative test after 4 weeks of exposure ). Can I take these tests are convulsive or further tests needed.. because one of the doctor said that it may shown positive results after 3.5 years to 5 years. so only I worried.. late seroconversion possible doctor? in my family they planned for my marriage, can I postpone my marriage after some years? because after marriage hiv will turn positive means, all are getting trouble.. or better can I wait after some years to marriage. please advice doctor ...
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 44 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Brief Answer:
Late seroconversion is not possible.

You had unprotected sex with an unknown girl and the test result after 3 months are negative then there is no risk for HIV as late seroconversion is not there after 3 months. The test result after 3 months of exposure is 100% conclusive because window period for HIV also varies from 15 days to 3 months.

You need not postpone your marriage as you are absolutely safe and risk-free from HIV. Allay your fear or anxiety related to HIV and live life normally. If still any doubt is there feel free to ask me again and I am here to help you always.

Be relaxed and move ahead in life happily.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 28 minutes later
ok thank you doctor. can I go confidently my marriage plan without any fear of hiv doctor
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
You can go for marriage without any fear.

Welcome back and thanks for the follow-up.

There is no risk of HIV in your case so you can go ahead with your marriage plans definitely without any fear. Be relaxed, forget about the episode and move on in life happily. For any further help feel free to ask me anytime.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.