question-icon

Can HIV be contracted despite using condom during intercourse?

Posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015
Question: This was my first sex experience.I used a condom throughout my intercourse for about 1 minute. However, after I ejaculated, I continued to thrust for about 10 seconds and after finishing I pulled out and my penis became significantly softer ( perhaps even as I was pulling out. My penis might have become softer when inside the vigina with a condom), to where the condom only covered perhaps half of my penis shaft, and not to the base. I remember the head of the penis and foreskin still was covered.I have very very minute papule like bumps from where the hair comes out nearer to the base of the penis shaft and on the scrotum.However, the penis shaft skin is intact. Does this put me at any risk of contracting HIV.This was my first sex experience.I used a condom throughout my intercourse for about 1 minute. However, after I ejaculated, I continued to thrust for about 10 seconds and after finishing I pulled out and my penis became significantly softer ( perhaps even as I was pulling out. My penis might have become softer when inside the vigina with a condom), to where the condom only covered perhaps half of my penis shaft, and not to the base. I remember the head of the penis and foreskin still was covered.I have very very minute papule like bumps from where the hair comes out nearer to the base of the penis shaft and on the scrotum.However, the penis shaft skin is intact. Does this put me at any risk of contracting HIV.Should I undergo HIV and other STD tests at 3 months mark?

xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You are not at risk of HIV so don't worry.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome to HCM.

You had protected intercourse throughout then the risk of getting HIV is not there. As far as papules are concerned they might be due to perspiration or some other infection but not related to HIV. So be relaxed and move ahead as you are risk free.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist