Can HIV be contracted after touching infected bodily fluid

Dr. Sassen S Kwasa

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: what are the chances of hcv or hiv from environment? What if I touched table, possibly touched infectious fluid, then touched mucous membrane a couple min later. I'm unsure if I washed my hands well or not.
I am very scared.
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ther is a very low risk of transmission of the above asked.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back to HCM. Please note that the virus does not survive long outside the human body. Therefore I can assure you that you have not contracted these diseases, do not worry yourself, in the future, perform good hand hygiene and use soap and water throughout the day. Good luck and take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 2 hours later
Both viruses do not survive long? I understand you cannot give a specific time....but if it was enough blood to not be noticed, do you think a few minutes would kills it? I honestly did not even think of this as a concern at the time because I was unaware of her status so I was not looking for blood.

does hand sanitizer kill the viruses?
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No they do not survive long, yes hand sanitizers kill viruses.

Detailed Answer:
Please note that the fact that they touched you mucus membranes doesn't even provide a portal for entry. Unless you had for some reason you had open cut or wound on the said membrane.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 19 minutes later
OK I am unsure if I did or not. I just wanted to confirm that the viruses cannot live or transmit once they are on inanimate surfaces?
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They cannot be transmitted once on inanimate object.

Detailed Answer:
I think at this time if you are still worried then you should go and get tested to put your nerves at ease, as you may be expending more energy worrying about this.
Follow up: Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 15 hours later
I appreciate your answer and I am not contradicting it but why do some doctors state that even touching dry blood then rubbing your eye is a risk of any of these diseases?
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Risk is a percentage, so we talk about what is the risk?

Detailed Answer:
You can look at it this way, what are the chances if you go and buy a lottery ticket that you will win the jackpot? Chances are very slim right? But someone somewhere does, same thing here, there is a risk, but for all commers, the risk is very small, and many factors will have to be in play for one to get the infection. So if I bought a lottery ticket, I know that I did not win the lottery, but there is a chance (risk) so I look it up anyway to see if I won (this is you for example getting tested) and you will know the definitive answer.
Follow up: Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 21 minutes later
So basically, I am crazy and there really isn't a risk here for hiv or hcv. For that to happen, the blood would have to be in a larger quantity and quickly touch my membrane or cut.

technically what I asked could happen but that quantity and time would be a factor?
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are not crazy, I think that you are overthinking this issue.

Detailed Answer:
There is never a word called impossible in medicine, there are what we call likelihoods, and therefore the likelihood that you contracted anything is very small and that likelihood is approaching to zero.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 4 hours later
OK I am just afraid of getting a test done and being positive for hepc or hiv.

I understand that you have told me I will NOT be able to get either of those viruses but what I have described (which was touching the inside of my vagina to get a tampon after the visit with possible positive client).

thank you
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome, Correct, you do not need to take the test.

Detailed Answer:
You are not able to get either of these diseases. I hope this puts you at more ease. Thanks