Can HCTZ be replaced with Amlodipine to reduce drug interaction with Plavix?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: interaction with pradaxa or plavix is HDCT the best med to substitute for amlodipine besylate?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be used, different family of drugs

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

HCTZ is the acronym used for hydrochlorothiazide.

This is a medication that can be used for high blood pressure, it is a diuretic so it helps reduce blood pressure by causing loss of excess fluid and electrolytes (like sodium)

It is in a different family of drugs than amlodipine. Amlodipine acts by blocking the passage of calcium through certain channels.
Calcium plays a part in keeping the blood vessels tight (contracted), so by preventing movement , the blood vessels relax and the blood pressure decreases.

HCTZ can be substituted for amlodipine if you have problems with the amlodipine.
Because they are in different drug families, they would have different potential side effects.

Plavix and pradaxa used together would increase the risk of bleeding but if your risk of a blood clot is very high , your doctor might consider it.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James