Can Gestin be taken after a positive home pregnancy test before visiting a gynecologist?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor,
My wife has not got period. She has done Home Pregnancy Test & it is positive. Her periods in last month was on 15.12.2017.
Her Gynaec is out of town. Gynaec will come on next Monday i.e. 29.01.2018. This is her second pregnancy. During 1st pregnancy she was given Gestin (Progrestrone) tablet.
So i wanted to know whether my wife can take Gestin as i have read that Progrestrone helps to prevent any untoward thing in pregnancy.
Still about 5 days to go to meet my Gynaec. So i wanted opinion from doctor whether she can take any medicine or wait for Gynaec to check nd start medication.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It's safe

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.

Heston is progesterone, and it helps in pregnancy by making the uterine environment more favourable for the fetus.

It is safe for both the mother and the fetus.

She can take it safely.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 34 hours later

Hi Doctor,

Today met with my doctor. He did check up of my wife.We informed him that we have done Home Pregnancy Test & it has came positive. He has suggested USG Scan to confirm Pregnancy & Viability to be done on 14.02.2018. He also gave standard instructions such as cares to be taken like not to take heavy weight, not to do intercourse & all those things.

Medicines given are
1) Tab Gestin
2) Tidilan 10
3) Care 9 tablet
4) Argipreg powder.

When my wife enquired Doctor is pregnancy confirmed he told her that it will be confirmed after USG Scan.

Because of his reply we are confused & worried. We want to know whether she is pregnant & if she is indeed pregnant why has he told us that it will be known after scan. Whether there is some problem which doctor did not informed us.

My wife's weight is 99 kgs & BP is 140/90.

Observations written by doctor in casepaper is attached for your reference.

Madam based on medicines given & observations written in casepaper, can you tell us

1) Whether she is pregnant.
2) are there any complications.
3) uses of medicines given. Is any medicine to treat any complication or these are regular medicines given in pregnancy.

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy is confirmed

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the prescription.
1. If the urine pregnancy test is positive, then the pregnancy is there. There is no doubt about it.
2. There are no complications as mentioned in the prescription paper.
Doctor has advised to get an ultrasound done after 2 weeks as fetal cardiac activity comes at around 6 weeks of pregnancy.
3. Gestin is progesterone given to make the uterine environment more favorable for the fetus.
Tidilan is given to prevent premature uterine contractions.
Care9 is multivitamin.
Argipreg is given to increase the weight of the fetus.
However, Tidilan and Argipreg are not recommended in first trimester of pregnancy.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana