Can Gemcitabine contribute to hearing loss?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 16 Nov 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I'm taking gemcitabine Iv once a week along with 1,000 mg. 2's daily. Iv is once a week for three weeks
and one week off. I started with this in Dec. 2017 at l500 mg. iv and pill. my oncologist took me
off this and continued with the lower dose. I had severe cramps and rectal bleeding. I have had
colitis for many years. After the first round of the higher dose I had my yearly hearing test and
it indicated hearing loss. What is known with this drug and hearting loss? I have had a hearing aide
for l.5 years. Hearing loss is big in my mom's side of the family.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gemcitabine has no effect on hearing loss!

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query...

I have reviewed the entire drug information for Gemcitabine. This drug has no impact on hearing loss. This might be a coincidental finding and has no relation to Gemcitabine as none of this has ever been reported.

I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you well.

Dr. Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist