Can GERD cause pain in the left side of the chest?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: left jaw discomfort left side left arm pain upper back pain stomach feels upset I have Gerd but I think this is a heart attack I do have an abscessed tooth also had two ekgs in the last 4 months they came back perfect
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Doesn't seem to be heart based on these details

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it doesn't seem to be due to heart and can be due to variety of issues. The jaw pains can be due to dental issues you had been facing lately however needs a detailed oral examination at the site of pains and OTC analgesics like acetaminophen can be used for temporary relief.

The GERD can also cause the pains at left side or behind chest bone and may need to be treated with antacids or motility agents like domperidone. Radiation towards left arm can be all because pains at left side in jaw and chest can all cause subjective feeling that whole side is aching however such symptoms do need an evaluation with an EKG as even if remote possibility exists it can't be ruled out and even if EKG is normal an Echo cardiogram or an ETT might be needed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 hours later
can acid reflux cause heart palpitations what are symptoms of a heart attack
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can present like palpitations

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Yes it can present like palpitations or apprehensions due to variety of causes.

Symptoms of chest tightness, central or radiating to whole chest not localised to one single point and not related to position or with breathing, and increases with exertion and may be associated with sweating or severe nausea and vomiting. Chest pain whether suspected to be cardiac or not should have an EKG as a rule. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar