Can Foracort and Tiate inhalers cause dry mouth?

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been taking Foracort 200 inhaler and Tiate inhaler. I get a dry mouth,white patches on the palate and mouth is very susceptible to burning on taking spices or least of chilli . Do I need to change the inhalers?

IF I stop the Inhalers , can I damage my lungs permanently.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
when we use inhalers, some amount of the medicine gets deposited

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic,

when we use inhalers, some amount of the medicine gets deposited in mouth if you do not synchronise your breathing properly. You should press inhaler at the end of inspiration only.

The steroid in inhaler (foracort) can lead to growth of fungi in mouth.

Better is to use ZEROSTAT inhaler or SPACEHALER.

This will prevent this from happening to a great extent.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 4 hours later
If I stop taking inhalers can there be permanent damage to lungs?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes you should not stop inhalers especially the steroid inhaler.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, yes you should not stop inhalers especially the steroid inhaler. It prevents lung damage. But take it with a spacehaler/zerostat inhaler.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D