Can Fluoxetine be tapered off with another medication?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question: is there a brand of fluoxetine that i can get to tape off fluoxetine 20mg?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Only 10 mg

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Unfortunately we have option of 10 mg and 20 mg fluoxetine and no brand is available for tapering off this medicine.

Generally rather than cutting the dose increasing the gap between the medicine helps in withdrawal symptoms. This is based on the fact that fluoxetine is long acting medication so first you can go for alternate day dosing for 7 days followed by one dose every third day for another week followed by every fourth day for one week and so on. Once the dossing schedule reaches once in week it can be stopped all together without fear of withdrawal symptoms.

I hope this helps you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 25 minutes later
is there an option for a liquid form that i could use? one doctor here suggested using the liquid preparation of fluoxetine may work. is this an option i can try and is ut available everywhere?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be used if available

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Liquid form is not available in country of my practice but can be used if available. Since your doctor recommended it, I am sure it must be available in your city/state.

Regarding use I must make it clear that it can be used without any problem as it is absorbed excellently.

I hope this answers you further.
Thanks again.