Can Femilon help in treating fibroid?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I am diagnosed with two fibroids of 5cm and one smaller of 1.5cm, with the bulky uterus. I am having severe bleeding for past two months. Doctors have given me femilon.
I want to ask whether femilon actually help in this condition. Are there any alternatives to avoid hystectomy or myomectomy or Uterine artery embolization.
Also please tell me if nutraceuticals like Fibrovan can help in this condition.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medical treatment followed by surgical treatment, if needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. Fibroids with excessive bleeding needs treatment. First the medical methods are tried, if they fail then surgical methods like uterine artery embolization, myomectomy or hysterectomy are opted for.
Femilon is an oral contraceptive pill, which is given for the medical treatment, other medicines like tranexemic acid, mefenamic acid, progesterones like medroxyprogesterone may be tried.These medications help in reducing the blood flow due to fibroids.
There are no recommendations to use nutraceuticals like Fibrovan to reduce the symptoms due to fibroids.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma