Can Ezetimibe cause elevated blood sugar levels?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I am a diabetic well maintained with a steady A1C now I have been put on Zetia and I have nausea in the morning and extreme fatique. I wonder can this drug affect my diabetes? Because already I want to stop taking it b/c of the above symptioms alone ---- I do not do well with statins. thank you
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ezetimibe does not increase blood sugar;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully with your concern!

Zetia (Ezetimibe) is different from statins. They do not raise the blood sugar, there are studies that show an improvement of glycemia while using Zetia.

Nausea and vomiting may be a side effect of Zetia.
You can try to stop it for some days, and observe. If the situation improves, then they are side effects of Zetia, otherwise, another cause should be found.

Wish you good health! Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee