Can Excedrin and Cumudin be taken together?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
ok......I am worried about me taking Excedrin everyhday 2 pills. I take cumudin also. I take Excedrin for my arthritis pain. what can I change to for the pain? thank hyou
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take excedrin with coumadin.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query.

The safest one for people taking Coumadin is usually acetaminophen (excedrin).

So you can take excedrin with coumadin, as other medications like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) e,g diclofenac, etodolac, flurbiprofen, ibuprofen are contraindicated with warfarin because of incresed chances of bleeding and increase the anticoagulant effect of warfarin.

But tramadol may increase the anticoagulant effect of warfarin and increase the risk of adverse bleeding events. So you should remember that do not take any medication without prescription of your doctor.

Through simple blood tests, called prothrombin time (PT) or International Normalized Ratio (INR), we can adjust the dose of warfarin as needed. So get these tests done and send me the report.

I hope you have got your answer.

Thanks.

Dr.Singh.

Follow-up: Can Excedrin and Cumudin be taken together? 8 hours later
hi to you.......all my doctors know exactly what I am taking ;;and have known from the first first day......but I am questioning taking meds for pain which do not go with warafin. I have pretty bad arthritis pain and have learned just recently that I should be taking NASIDS for the pain instead of what I am taking. like Celebrex or something that is a good pain killer but is compatible with my heart meds. I have afib along with everything else. so now do you have a better idea and can you figure out something better for me taking. I have an appointment with my heart doctor this Wednesday abd with my primary doc on Thursday. so what do you have in mind for me now??????

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
A lot of medications are available.

Detailed Answer:

Myfriend, thanks for your response.

There are many medications which can be taken with warfarin which you can discuss with your heart doctor.

I usually advise one of the medications e.g Acetaminophen, Codeine sulfate, Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone etc. All these are very good painkillers and can be taken with warfarin but under observation and prescription of your local doctor.

But the thing is that, first your heart doctor will titrate dose of warfarin or other cardiac medication, then only, I can titrate the dose of painkiller or your heart doctor can also titrate dose of painkillers as I have mentioned above.

It has been proved that celebrex should not be taken with high blood pressure or heart failure.

Thanks.

Dr.Singh.