Can Evion help to lower blood cholesterol levels?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had angioplasty for PAD in Aug 2o12.I am taking blood thinning medicines. Will Evion 400 will help.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,it may be helpful.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM,

Vitamin E (evion) is a fat soluble vitamin and powerful anti-oxidant.

It is known to reduce the blood cholesterol level in blood and thus may reduce the further risk of coronary heart disease and peripheral arterial diseases.

So,it may be helpful for you.You can take it while on blood thinner drugs and there is no issue with it.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 18 hours later
Thanks for your advice.
Will it help to de calcification of arterys. Which medicine will help to improve better blood circulation in affected aera ie legs.It is understood that the artery where stenting is performed are more prone for further blockeges.
I don't have cholesterol problem. Pls advice.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin E may prevent further hardening of arteries.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again,

Vitamin E may prevent further hardening of arteries but it does not cause de-calcification as the exact mechanism behind is not known.You can take it.

You should also continue with blood thinner medications as they prevent further plaque formation at peripheral arteries. Plaque or clot formation is a tendency and plenty of factors play a role in the formation of it. There is no particular medicine available which improves blood circulation in leg arteries. Those medicines are blood thinner which you are already taking.

Yes,I am agree with you that the arteries are more prone to develop blockages in future where there is already stenting has been done but all these are because of tendency and there is no clear cut mechanism known behind this tendency.

Once it happens,it is better to take appropriate medications life long or until your doctor feels.

So,I would suggest you to continue same medications and undergo PT with INR (prothrobin time) test periodically or advised by your doctor.

Dr.Sandip Kabra