Can Estradiol help heal hot flashes post bronchitis treatment?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: My wife, age 79 is experiencing hot flashes. She just finished treatment for bronchitis. They seem to happen at least 2 or 3 times a day, mostly in the morning for at least a week. She does take Estradiol 0.5 mg, 1/day. Could this be serious and what can she do for prevention. We plan to see her Doctor next, if available.
Thank you for your time in helping us.
V/r, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May need an assessment to manage the hormone.

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

Right now, you can try to get her some relief from the hot flushes by allowing good ventilation in her room, make it cooler, ask her to drink plenty of fluids, wear loose cotton fabrics to render good air entry and destress with breathing exercises thrice a day.

She should also report to her consultant to have a periodic assessment of the hormone status. The infection and probable use of antibiotics may have precipitated this episode of hot flushes.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.